Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Family Tradition

It's a rare occasion for my husband and I to share the same days off, especially lately. This past Sunday we were fortunate enough to have an entire day together, and I wasted no time convincing Aaron to make me crepes. This is one of those recipes that I do not attempt to make, it's always been "Aaron's recipe" and therefore, his duty to make them...and he loves it.
According to Aaron, family breakfast was a Sunday morning tradition when he was growing up. Not every Sunday was designated 'crepe day', but the days that were were favorited by the entire family. Like Aaron, his dad was the one who made them, perfected them, and waited until everyone had eaten their share before enjoying his own. I experienced my first "family breakfast" at his parent's house about a year after we had started dating. I remember walking into the kitchen and Aaron's father was busy prepping and pulling all sorts of things from the fridge that I just had to try in my crepe. Before this day, I had never had a crepe, and I'm pretty sure I'd never even heard of them either. I was hooked. Like almost everything Aaron's dad has created in the kitchen, I craved crepes like you wouldn't believe. Anytime I was lucky enough to have breakfast with Aaron and his family, I tried my hardest to request crepes. As you can imagine, I was stoked when Aaron and I got married and we received our very own crepe pan and the recipe! Now, I'm just as excited to share it all with you.




 Aaron's Family Crepes:

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon vanilla**
1/2 teaspoon sugar
milk (as needed)

** The only addition to the original recipe Aaron has made, at my request..because, well why not! Vanilla is excellent!



 Directions:

 Add flour, eggs, baking powder, salt, oil, vanilla and sugar into large mixing bowl and stir until thick. This next part is tricky! Add milk, just a few tablespoons at a time, until mixture is the right consistency...no lumps and runny like soup (it'll slide right off your mixing spoon).










Pour just a little bit at a time to avoid making the batter too runny

"Runny like soup" says the Chef.























Make sure you are using a flat,thin pan, otherwise the crepes will not form correctly.





Make sure you grease your pan!


                                

Checking to see how greasy the pan is. He's adorable.


Swirling the batter in the pan helps to spread out the batter and create edges.







































 












It'll take a few tries at this to make the mixture 'perfect,' each time you'll begin to eye-ball the batter and you'll know once you pour it into the pan and swirl it around if the batter is too thick, or too thin.






TIP: When you're crepe is cooked, adding a little butter to the top and letting it melt helps to add a little bit more flavor!

Once you've made your crepe, filling it is the best part.







Using a fork like this helps to roll the crepe. Just place and twirl clock-wise.

The final, delicious product! YUMMY!






No comments:

Post a Comment