Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Girl and Her Kitchen


Welcome to my new blog! This will be my second attempt at blogging- the first time just didn't go as planned. This time around though, I'll be blogging about something I LOVE-- FOOD! Here you will find my favorite recipes, my favorite food memories and info about my favorite kitchen products.

A little bit about me: Julie (Or, as I'm most commonly referred to by a very adorable toddler- Lee Lee) the Cook.
My husband Aaron and I this summer on a wine tasting tour!

I find myself the most relaxed in the kitchen. Whether I'm cooking (or baking) away all by my lonesome with nothing but my thoughts and a huge mess, or shuffling in a very small space with my oh so eager to help hubby, I feel at ease. My discovery of this is fairly recent. I'd say that my alter-kitchen-ego-diva was born almost two years ago, as my husband and I were settling ourselves into a new apartment in a new city. Fall of 2010 was the first time we were truly all on our own - with both sets of parents over an hour and a half away and very few friends close by, we had no choice but to learn to work together in the kitchen. My love for desserts began to flourish during this time, and my husband- Aaron's love for all things spicy grew immensely. (It's no wonder my love for all things sweet grew to its peak when we moved to Rochester- the very best cupcake boutique had just started making some of the most delicious desserts my palate had ever tasted!) I found myself eager to cook dinners, to experiment with different flavors and even volunteering to cook Thanksgiving Dinner for my family that year. I was becoming comfortable in the kitchen - in my kitchen, where there's always a mess when I've got a meal in mind.

My love to cook would have never flourished though if it were not for one of my very best friends, Candi. Her love of food is even greater than mine. There's something so incredible about watching her come up with an entire meal off the top of her head and having it turn out better than imagined. She taught me some of the most basic things about cooking, and now I share her love of Pampered Chef, Sugar Mountain,"savory" foods and all things SASS (which I'll get to in another post). It's been a running joke that when the two of us are in her kitchen cooking away (she mostly cooks, I stare and learn in amazement) that she should have her own kitchen show because everything she creates is done so with so much humor and love that the world should always be tuned in. Cooking with Candi is therapeutic, entertaining and always a learning experience. I can't even begin to thank her enough for showing me how to create wonderful and healthy meals in the blink of an eye, and have fun doing it. In a way, this blog is dedicated to you,Candi, as a thank-you for allowing me to be myself in the kitchen (in both yours, and my own), and for helping me to become a more peaceful person.
Not the best picture of us, but definitely one of our funnest days together!!


What's to Come: 

My intention is to just find a way to write about the things I love, and to share them with the people I love. So many of my memories as a child take place in someone's kitchen- whether it be my mother's or my aunt's, or even a friend's kitchen- I've learned not just how to cook, but about life in these kitchens. Sitting around a table talking about the past, laughing about something ridiculous someone said (In most cases it was me), or learning something as simple as how to cut a pepper, or how to layer lasagna- the kitchen was a place of growth for me. As an adult, a wife and a graduate student aspiring to one day figure out what I want to do with my life, life and all its stresses gets the best of me and I look to regain that familiar feeling of the kitchen I once had; the comfort and the entertainment, and the joy that it brings me. So, here, in this blog, I'll recollect old memories and record new ones to share with you. I'll share with you recipes my family has carried on for generations, new ones I've added to memory from my husband's family, and those I stumble upon as I become ever more addicted to Pinterest. There's no formality here- this is just a simple blog about a girl and her kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment