Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Deliciousness isn't always pretty...

 I've been dying to try these Baked Apples with Oatmeal Streusel Topping I found on pinterest a couple of weeks ago- tonight was the night!
After dinner Aaron and I started watching The Descendents (that George Clooney flick where in the preview he's running and his daughter tells him his wife was cheating on him- yea, that one!) and I got about 45 mins in and was dying to make these baked apples. So, we paused the movie and began baking.
Aaron was on apple cutting duty. Given my recent streak of clumsiness, cutting apples with a knife probably wasn't a good idea. I've given myself numerous bruises and scrapes over the past couple of weeks and cutting my finger off just doesn't seem fun. While Aaron cut the apples I started making the oatmeal streusel. The only thing I added extra to this recipe was a teaspoon of vanilla- just because I love it, and think it should go in pretty much everything I bake.
The apple cutting went smoothly and the oatmeal streusel is really the perfect consistency to crumble up on top of the apple wedges. Here's what they looked like before we put them into the oven:





They took about 30 mins to bake- during which we resumed our movie and my mouth watered the entire time these bad boys were baking.
Once we took them out of the oven, we couldn't help but laugh. My perfect looking apples had turned to mush!

Oh well- they tasted AMAZING! I definitely suggest making these- they were the perfect movie snack and take way less time than making an actual apple crisp- no need to peel all those apples!


Here's the recipe: 
 
Baked Apples with Oatmeal Streusel Topping
Ingredients: 
  • 3-4 apples
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I added this, it's not in the original recipe)
*I omitted the ginger and salt from the original as well, they just seemed like a weird add in to me. 

Directions:
  • Halve the apples and scoop out the seeds/stems
  • Mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla in a bowl until they are crumbly. 
  • Fill the apple halves with the oatmeal streusel
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. My advice is to start watching them around 20-25 minutes if you don't want them to get as mushy as mine were.

If you get a chance to make them, let me know how they turned out! 

1 comment:

  1. Salt would've just made the other flavors pop a bit more - and ginger is personal taste. Baked apples get soooo mushy!

    You can also make crisp without peeling the apples - it's actually healthier!

    These look really good. Also like that I could probably half this recipe so I could have it for two nights with fresh apples...

    ReplyDelete